Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More Christmas Pictures

We had a huge snow storm Christmas Night. You can barely see Aaron out there shoveling - um, yeah, he's in shorts - and we've had snow every other day since. The kids are loving it; I'm freezing.
We had our Akes Family Christmas Party on the 27th of Dec. My sister got me a Barbie Head. Long story, but the short version is that for about 3 years in my childhood, I would just look through the Sears and JCPenny Catalogs and dream of a Barbie Head. With 8 kids and little money, I had some fabulously inventive and fun Christmas gifts, but no Barbie Head. I can't believe she remembered that.
I made Cris a "Sisters" block. It's hard to see in this picture, but I made some for my friends and Mom-in-law. They were way fun and easy - got the idea from wonderful Jessie - and they sell at craft places for $15 & $20 - I should go into business :).
One of our Akes Family Traditions is Graham Cracker Houses. This year both my kids decided that houses were "So not cool". Cam made a Spidermobile.
Aleah didn't think she needed the Graham crackers at all. Aunt Cris had just shown her how to Knit and she was so excited that her artwork was a ball of yarn (the heap of chocolates in the left-hand corner of the plate), a partially knitted scarf (the read and green M&Ms in rows across the middle), and Knitting needles (the white frosting line across the M&Ms). She definitely gets points for creativeness. Oh, I was going to make a house with Charman, but we ended up "helping" the others and just eating way too much candy.

1 comment:

LaRue Country Living said...

great and creative ways to add their own spin on gingerbread houses. i love when kids add their own little touches to family traditions. anyway the blog background--just go to my blog and look at the top left hand corner. there should be a icon that you can click on that will get you to where I go. if not let me know and i will look it up. i think its cutestblogontheblock.com but not really sure. hope that helps.